The intention of this module is to convey the importance of Quality as a strategy for continuous improvement in business performance. Accordingly the module evolves through strategies for competitive quality, quality in design and manufacture and the customer supply chain to the concept of Total Quality.
- The philosophies and principles of TQM, incorporating customer focus.
- The tools, techniques, systems and management and leadership styles applicable to a TQM environment.
- Review and critical appraisal of Quality, Inspection, Quality Control, Quality Assurance and Total Quality Management.
- Cultural and leadership aspects and the influence of the Quality Gurus and their contribution to Quality.
- The concept of variation and its analysis as an aid to continuous improvement, SPC and process capability.
- Understanding and implementation of a Six Sigma programme.
- ISO 9001, ISO 14000 and related Quality Management Systems (QMS).
- Benchmarking and EFQM as an aid to developing both strategic and tactical competitive advantage.
- Designing Quality into products and processes including Quality Engineering.